Chronicle of Events for Xiangxi Geopark
1. From May 18-22, 2017, Xiangxi Prefecture attended the Exhibition of Natural Resources in Hunan during the Fifth China Mining and Gem Show (CMGS) held in Chenzhou, Hunan Province, and was awarded the third prize at CMGS by Hunan Provincial People's Government for its outstanding geosites.
2. From June 28-30, 2017, a delegation went to Xiangxi to have a better understanding about the geo-sites, history and culture of Xiangxi. The delegation consisted of Yuan Daoxian, academician with the Chinese Academy of Sciences; Prof. John Gunn, an international karstologist from the University of Birmingham; Prof. Julia James from the University of Sydney and vice chairman of Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area Committee; Prof. Alexander Klimchouk from the Institute of Geological Sciences, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine; as well as experts and scholars from IKG, Central South University in Changsha, China University of Geosciences in Wuhan, and Southwest University in Chongqing. The sites they visited included: Xiangxi Geopark Luota ,Furong Town , Red Stone Forest , Aizhai,Lüdongshan,Shibadong, etc. Their objective was to learn more about the geological heritage resources and human history in Xiangxi.
3. On July 1,2017, the International Symposium on Karst of Xiangxi took place in Jishou. The event was jointly sponsored by the People’s Government of Xiangxi Tujia & Miao Autonomous Prefecture and Karst Geology Institute of Chinese Academy of Geological Science(The International Research Center on Karst of UNESCO). The symposium was attended by more than 40 scholars and experts , including Yuan Yuan Daoxian, academician with the Chinese Academy of Sciences; Andrej Kranj ,former director of Slovenia Karst Research Institute, an international karstologist;Prof. John Gunn,an international karstologist from the University of Birmingham; Prof. Julia James from the University of Sydney and vice chairman of Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area Committee; Prof. Alexander Klimchouk from the Institute of Geological Sciences, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine; as well as experts and scholars from IKG, Central South University in Changsha, China University of Geosciences in Wuhan, and Southwest University in Chongqing. In addition, delegates who were present at the symposium also included: Yin Xuelang, the deputy director of Hunan Department of Land Resources;Long Xiaohua, vice secretary of Xiangxi Prefectural Committee of the CPC, governor of the People’s Government of Xiangxi Tujia & Miao Autonomous Prefecture; Li Ping,deputy governor of Xiangxi Tujia & Miao Autonomous Prefecture;Prof. Jiang Zhongcheng, director of IRCK and deputy director-general of IKG. The symposium provided intelligent and technical support for the geosites evaluation, geopark construction and management, as well as application of Xiangxi Global Geopark .
4. On July 12,2017, Long Xiaohua, vice secretary of Xiangxi Prefectural Committee of the CPC, governor of the People’s Government of Xiangxi Tujia & Miao Autonomous Prefecture, and head of the Leading Group of Xiangxi Prefecture to Apply for Xiangxi Global Geopark went to the Ministry of Land and Resources and reported application work of global geopark of Xiangxi with related departments’ chiefs.
5. From August 6-10, 2017,Peng Shanchi, vice chairman of International Commission on Stratigraphy,(ICS) chairman of the Subcommission on Cambrian Stratigraphy under ICS, a research professor with the Nanjing Institute of Geology and Palaeontology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, and a famous stratigraphic paleontologist visited and inspected the geosites conservation of Dehang Grand Canyon, sub-section of the GSSP for Paibian Stage in Huayuan County and sub-section of the GSSP for Guzhangian Stage in Guzhang County.Prof.Peng inscribed words “Classical Stratum of Cambrian Period, Biology Treasure-house of Cambrian Period” for geosites in Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture. He committed that he will support the application work for Xiangxi Global Geopark with all his strength.
6. On September 8, 2018, a Launching Ceremony for Geopark Popular Science Education of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture was held in Red Stone Forest of Xiangxi Geopark. More than 200 delegates, including Liu Xiaogang, the Deputy Director of Xiangxi Prefectural Congress; Li Ping, the Deputy Governor of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture;Xiang Dingtian, the Vice Chairman of CPPCC of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture; as well as chiefs of related departments, officials and staff from Hunan Redstone Forest Tourism Development Co.,Ltd., teachers and students from primary schools around the Red Stone Forest, attended the launching ceremony.
7. On September 19,2017,the Fifth APGN was held in Zhijin County, Guizhou Province. Invited by the conference organizing committee, Gao Wenhua, Standing Deputy Director of Xiangxi Global Geopark Application Office and Director of Prefectural Land and Resources Bureau; Peng Hua, Deputy Director of Prefectural Land and Resources Bureau; as well as two staff working in the Xiangxi Global Geopark Application Office attended the conference as special guests .
8. On October 25, 2017, Wu Lingpin, Deputy Director of Xiangxi Prefectural Congress, chaired a meeting on legislation work of the Regulations on the Protection of National Geoparks in Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture. Chiefs of related departments made suggestions in terms of legislation process, time duration and draft plan writing.
9. On November 8,2017, a delegation went to Xiangxi to inspect the promotion of targeted poverty alleviation through geopark development. The members of the delegation included Liu Yuan, an inspector of Geological Environment Department of Ministry of Land and Resources;Yuan Xiaohong, chief of Geopark Administration of Ministry of Land and Resources; Yu Zhenguo, director of Chinese Academy of Land and Resources Economics,among others.
10. From December14-15,2017,the Conference of Promotion of National Geoparks and Mine Parks Construction on Targeted Poverty Alleviation was held in Jishou, which was sponsored jointly by the Chinese Academy of Land and Resources Economics, People’s Government of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture, was organized by Prefectural Land and Resources Bureau and Geopark Administration of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture. The chiefs and directors from Geological Environment Department of Ministry of Land and Resources, Chinese Academy of Land and Resources Economics and Provincial(municipal or district) Department of Land and Resources, as well as experts and scholars from Peking University attended the conference. On December 15,2017, the attendees were divided into two groups, they respectively visited Shibadong Village, Aizhai Town, Furong Town and Red Stone Forest to learn more best practices and achievements about the promotion of targeted poverty alleviation through geoparks and mine parks construction.
11. On December 28,2017,the National Recommendation Meeting on the Tenth Global Geoparks was held in Beijing, which was sponsored by the Ministry of Land and Resources and National Commission of the People's Republic of China for UNESCO. The proposed Xiangxi Global Geopark won the first place with a total score of 3771, and average score of 117.84 (Full score is 130) .
12. On January 24,2018, Xiangxi Geopark established Sister Geopark Partnership with Guangwushan-Nuoshuihe Geopark in Sichuan Province.
13. On January 26,2018, Xiangxi Geopark established Sister Geopark Partnership with Huanggang Dabieshan Geopark in Hubei Province.
14. On January 29,2018, the Ministry of Land and Resources of China issued a letter titled A Letter on the Application of Global Geoparks in 2019 and 2020 ( Land and Resources Office (GTZTH No.143), in which it was decided that Xiangxi Geopark in Hunan Province was selected as the applicant sent by China to UNESCO for the application of Global Geopark.
15. On March 21th, 2018,the experts board of Xiangxi Prefectural Committee of Municipal and Rural Construction organized a review meeting to Draft Plans of Building Xiangxi Global Geopark (2017-2030), which was attended by Ling Ping, the Deputy Governor of Xiangxi Prefecture, deputy head of the Leading Group of Xiangxi Prefecture to Apply for Global Geopark and director of Xiangxi Global Geopark Application Office, as well as other relevant leaders and experts.
16. On March 28,2018, Xiangxi Geopark signed a cooperative agreement with Zigong Global Geopark in Sichuan province to establish sister parks with each other.
17. On April 24,2018, Xiangxi Geopark established a sister partnership with Zhangye National Geopark in Gansu province.
18. During the period of May 18-22,2018, Xiangxi Geopark yielded brilliant results in the 6th China Mineral and Gem Show held in Chenzhou city, where its rare geologic relics, good ecological environment and profound culture as well as other natural and historical resources were introduced to the world and obtained praises from visitors both at home and abroad.
19. On August 6, 2018, Xiangxi Geopark signed a cooperative agreement with Yimengshan Geopark in Shandong province to establish sister parks with each other.
20. From September 8 -14, 2018, Xiangxi Geopark attended the 8th UN World Geopark Conference held at Adamello Brenta UNESCO World Geopark in Milan, during which the publicity material exhibition of Xiangxi Geopark was favored by other geoparks worldwide.
21. From October 30 to November 4, 2018, the Geopark Administration of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture attended the UNESCO international training course on park management and development themed as “UNESCO Global Geoparks and Global Geoparks Network”, which was jointly organized by China University of Geosciences and Taishan Global Geopark. The training course was aimed at enabling government officials in the areas of geoparks, geopark administrators and the staff to acquire knowledge of the concept, standard, application and evaluation as well as the new development of geoparks focusing on explanation of geologic relics.
22. During the period of November 5-8,2018, Peng Hua, the deputy director of Xiangxi Prefectural Land and Resources Bureau, director of Geopark Administration of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture, and Peng Wenhong, staff in the Geopark Administration, attended the UNESCO Global Geoparks Annual Meeting 2018 held by Yandangshan Geopark in Zhejiang province, China.
23. On November 17-18, 2018,the 2nd Xiangxi Geopark International Symposium on Karst, sponsored by the Institute of Karst Geology of China Geological Survey and the People’s Government of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture and organized by Xiangxi Prefectural Land and Resources Bureau, the Tourism and Overseas Chinese Affairs Committee of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture, and Geopark Administration of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture, was held in Xiangxi. It was attended by 29 experts from 18 countries. The 2-day symposium consisted of two parts: field study and academic discussion. Besides renowned experts, Chen Songling, the CPC member and deputy director of Department of Natural Resources of Hunan Province, Long Xiaohua, governor of Xiangxi Prefecture and head of the Leading Group of Xiangxi, and Ling Ping, the Deputy Governor of Xiangxi Prefecture, relevant experts as well as 70 representatives of Geopark Administration of Xiangxi Autonomous Prefecture attended the seminar, who exchanged experience and achievements and discussed the sustainable development of Xiangxi Geopark and geologic tourism.
24. On December 3,2018,the signing and awarding ceremony of Xiangxi Geopark with Central South University and Jishou University was held in Xiangxi Prefectural Land and Resources Bureau. It enhanced the mutual development of the local area and universities, conducive to the exploration of a cooperative way of talents cultivation and the comprehensive cooperation of production, study and research, which enabled local government and universities to play their roles in talent cultivation and realize advantage complementation and resource sharing, offering intellectual support to Xiangxi Geopark.
25. On December 9,2018, the First “Jiugui Liquor Cup” International Marathon Competition of Aizhai Bridge in Jishou was held in Aizhai Scenic Area of Xiangxi Geopark. More than 1,500 Marathon athletes and enthusiasts from over 20 countries and regions, including UK, USA, Canada and Jamaica, took part in the competition.
26. On December 15,2018, “the First Mini-Marathon Competition of Huayuan Shibadong 2018 and Hiking across Greater Xiangxi by Following the Footprint of Red Army” took place in Shibadong Scenic Area of Xiangxi Geopark. With a theme of “Take part in physical exercise to promote targeted poverty alleviation”, this competition, sponsored by the Sports Bureau of Hunan, was organized by Xiangxi Prefecture Education and Sports Bureau, and Huayuan County Government, and co-organized by the Geopark Administration Office of Xiangxi Prefecture. Hunan Top Eagle Outdoor Sports Co.,Ltd. was responsible for operating this competition. Integrating public participation in physical exercise and sports tourism, the competition was designed to showcase the tourism resources of Shibadong Scenic Area in Xiangxi Geopark, promote the unique natural and cultural landscapes in Xiangxi Prefecture, and enable the participants to experience the great changes that Shibadong Village has taken place since the targeted poverty alleviation efforts were launched.
27. On December 22, 2018, many experts and scholars on Miao Ethnic Science from five provinces and municipality in southwest China (i.e., Yunnan, Guizhou, Sichuan, Guangxi and Chongqing) gathered in Xiangxi Geopark-Lüdongshan Scenic Area to celebrate the Miao’s New Year 2018 with the local Miao people who wore festive costumes. The activity, organized by the Association of Research on Miao Ethnic Culture in Lüdongshan, was jointly sponsored by Hunan Provincial Miao Science Society, Xiangxi Prefectural Bureau of Culture, Broadcasting and Press, and Geopark Administration Office of Xiangxi Prefecture. It aimed to further promote the traditional culture of Miao ethnic group, and showcase the beautiful landscape of Xiangxi Geopark-Lüdongshan Scenic Area.
28. On December 29,2018,the Brisk Walking Competition of “China Sports Lottery• Xiangxi Geopark• the Bank of Communications Cup” was held in Jishou City. More than 2,000 people took part in the event to welcome the arrival of the New Year 2019 with the green and healthy sports: walking. The holding of this competition has not only advocated the concepts of living a healthy, green and low-carbon life, but allowed more people to understand Xiangxi Geopark.